27 September 2014

Very dry skin ...



From: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/nov/11/sali-hughes-dry-skin-moisturisers
Sali Hughes moisturisers
Very dry skin is a bit like wheat intolerance or seasonal affective disorder; seemingly half the population claims to have it, yet most haven't the faintest idea what it means to be a genuine sufferer. As someone whose skin chaps, flakes and actually hurts without plenty of very rich cream applied the moment I exit the shower, I can say with bitter experience that most moisturisers marketed at the dry-skinned don't work (my skin is also dehydrated, ie lacking in water, a condition that often sits alongside dryness, a shortage of oil).
While summer generally offers some relief, winter can be hell and demands an extra-emollient, takes-no-prisoners, mega-moisturiser to avoid stinging, chapping and dullness. Pharmacy brands like E45, Vaseline and Diprobase are great on the body, but usually very poor as a make-up base – which, for me, is almost as intolerable as the dryness itself. But all of the facial day creams below did two things:
  1. kept my very dry skin moist and comfortable in both blustery Brighton wind and my centrally heated house.
  2. sat ungreasily beneath my foundation without interfering in its business. Apply liberally over serum and leave for a minute before making up.

Waitrose Baby Bottom Butter £2.89, ocado.com
I love this on my legs, but feared it would cause my face to break out. It didn't. Wonderful as a night cream, too.
Decléor Hydra Floral Anti-pollution Cream £31, decleor.co.uk
Don't be deceived by the light texture: creamy richness with no buttery grease.
This Works No Wrinkles Extreme Moisturiser £45, thisworks.com 
This brand "gets" dry skin. The retinol is ideal if you're 35-plus.
Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Ultimate Day Cream Moisturiser£7.99, boots.com
One of the few affordable creams that didn't cause break-outs.
Laura Mercier Mega Moisturizer SPF15 £41.50, urbanretreat.co.uk
My long-term winter companion. Rich, comforting moisture that lasts all day.
Murad Hydro-Dynamic Ultimate Moisture £59, murad.co.uk
Superb. Natural oils and hi-tech anti-ageing ingredients left my skin glowing.
See also: http://www.salihughesbeauty.com/reviews/sali-loves-im-using-right-now/

No comments:

Post a Comment