12 July 2014

 Subject: Bring back any memories?

 

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'

 
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
 
'All the food was slow.'
 'Then where did you eat?'
 
 'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained. !

 
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'


By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.
  

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:

  

Most families NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.


My parents never drove me to school, I used to walk the 3 miles.

  
We had our first TV when I was about four years old. It was, of course, black and white, had a 9" screen and the only channel was BBC1 and didn't start until 5pm, went off the air at 6pm, and came back from 7pm until 10 PM when it went off after playing the national anthem & the epilogue. Shortly after this the second channel was started up.

 

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.


How many do you remember? 



  • Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
  • Ignition switches on the dashboard.
  • Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards. 
  • Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
  • Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators. 
  • Windscreen wipers which went slower as the car travelled up a hill.
  

Older Than Methuselah Quiz:  
Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about (ratings are at the bottom).


 1. Sweet cigarettes
 2. Coffee shops with juke
 boxes
 3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles 

 4. Party lines
 on the telephone
 5. Newsreels before the movie
 
 6. TV programme shutting down at night (only one channel)

 7.  Peashooters
 8. 33 rpm records

 
9. 45 RPM records
 10. Hi-fi s
 11. Metal ice trays with levers

 12. Blue flashbulb

 13. Cork popguns 

 14. 
Wash tub wringers 


 If you remembered 0-3 = You’re still young
 If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
 If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age
 If you remembered 11-14 = You're positively ancient!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment