The right way to have and keep beautiful nails is with a regular maintenance routine, not a visit to the salon every six months. So, twice a month:
- Remove all traces of nail polish with a gentle remover and a soft cotton pad (or two!)
- File your nails in one direction (a good name for a band?!) only to avoid splitting them. For stronger nails, aim for a smooth oval shape.
- Soak your fingertips in a bowl of warm, soapy water for about one or two minutes.
- Massage in a cuticle treatment, this is said to increase nail growth by 20%.
- Gently push back your cuticles with a cotton bud, then rinse with warm water.
- Gently rub in a rich hand cream. If you want to put nail polish on straight away, simply dampen a cotton wool ball with lukewarm water and use it to remove any excess lotion from your fingertips.
- Apply a base coat to help protect your nails from staining and to give an even base for your chosen polish.
- Two layers of polish will give a deep, rich colour. Allow five minutes between each coat.
- When both layers are dry, protect the polish against chipping and make the shiny finish last a lot longer by applying a final top coat.