Recently found amongst my father's papers
- A few drops of anchovy sauce will boost a stew. It doesn't taste fishy - just brings out the flavour.
- A cooling hint for hot weather: keep a spare pair of knickers in the fridge (Anne Gregg).
- Never offend anyone by accident (Kate Whitehorn).
- Use only pencil to fill-in your address book (Lady Cudlipp).
- Nail varnish will last longer and clog less if kept in the fridge.
- For a smoother-looking hairstyle, don't use your hairspray direct - spray it on the brush instead (a hairstylist).
- There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that's not being talked about (Oscar Wilde).